It's that time of year, isn't it :-) Pumpkin this and pumpkin that. One of my favorite recipes is a Pumpkin Bread with Cranberries. No chocolate (although I'll bet that would be a great addition) and no nuts (because I don't like nuts in breads..what can I say?).
I like using fresh cranberries when they're in season, but frozen work just fine too.
I have a basic go-to Pumpkin Cranberry bread that I make every year - but this year I decided to convert it to Gluten-free. It worked like a charm (first try!). I also replaced some of the sugar with Splenda - with no noticeable difference. Next time I might try replacing even more.
I love the combination of the sweet pumpkin bread with the slight tartness of the cranberries. It's a wonderful explosion of flavor.
This recipe makes 2 full size loaves or 6 mini-loaves (which is what I made). Like most quick breads, they freeze great, and they make great little gifts!.
Gluten-free Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- 2 cups Gluten-free flour blend (or your favorite GF blend)
- 1 cup Sweet Rice Flour
- 3 tsp Cinnamon (you can also replace the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves with 4-5 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice)
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Splenda
- 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 4 Eggs
- 1 - 15oz can of Pumpkin Puree (I use Organic)
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 X 5 loaf pans, or six mini-loaf pans.
- Mix the flours, baking soda, spices, salt, and xanthan gum together with a whisk and set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine the sugar/Splenda, pumpkin, eggs, canola oil, and orange juice and beat to blend.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
If you're making 2 loaves, bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake the mini loaves for about 35 minutes.
Cool in the pans for about 15 minutes, and then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!